Fuji LTO 6 Tape Ultrium 6
The Fujifilm LTO Ultrium 6 Tape cartridge is the first in the world produced with Barium Ferrite magnetic particles using Fujifilm's core Nanocubic technology. The LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge offers a super high compressed (2.5×) storage capacity of 6.25TB with the transfer rate of up to 400 megabytes per second. As with LTO 5 tapes, LTO Ultrium 6 hardware will incorporate the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Linear Tape File System (LTFS) dual partitioning functionality. In addition, Fujifilm LTO 6 tape cartridges are capable of long life archive for over 30 years and it also has excellent read/write accuracy on drives that start to wear down after repeated use.
Features and Benefits
- Capacity of 2.5TB (native) and up to 6.25 TB compressed capacity
- Supports transfer speeds of 160 MB/s (native), 400 MB/s (2.5:1) with Generation 6
- Barium Ferrite (BaFe) technology
- Superior 'smart grabber' mechanism and mechanical interlock to prevent the leader pin from being pulled inside the tape housing (a key weakness of DLT media). Sensors detect proper connection and prevent leader loss that would ruin the tape.
- Simplified tape path to reduce wear and tear.
Excellent read/write property: By adopting Barium Ferrite, Fujifilm LTO6 tapes have higher coercvity, lower noise compared to older generations. Over time the recording head of a well-used drives start to wear down leading to a drop in performance. However, since Fujifilm's LTO6 with Barium Ferrite, from a system performance point of view, has more margin compared to metal particle tapes (measured using Fuji manufactured tapes), it can be read/written more accurately on these older drives.
Long Archival Life: Barium Ferrite is chemically stable (already oxidized) and does not easily get demagnetized by outside energy. Therefore magnetic tape using Barium Ferrite is said to have a longer archival life of more than 30 years based on Fujifilm's acceleration tests.